Monday, August 17, 2009

So this is real life

Forced myself to go for a walk tonight, although at thirty minutes a short one, but it was all the time I could afford. Walking is great for clearing the old noggin, although I'm also trying to be diligent for reasons of physical health. One of the things I enjoy about walking late in the evening is the number of rabbits I come across. Rabbits, fireflies, crickets -- these are things that remind me of "real" life, outside the city. Funny how when I was younger I would have thought of "real" life as happening in the cities, and now I'm happy to glimpse things that remind me of life before Chicago.

I'm still basically happy here, I suppose. I certainly don't want to leave (in fact I'm looking to buy a place), but something is lacking lately. Partly I think I just need a vacation, which I've not had since February 2008. Traveling always brings some perspective to things. But also I realize I've taken a rather long break from writing, which I needed, but now I'm feeling like... what? Usually I would have some kind of short-term goal in place, maybe a vision for the next 3-5 years, but right now I'm just living and seeing where it takes me. Somewhere, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment